Copyrights - Introduction
Copyright is a set of exclusive rights granted to the owner for a
limited time to protect the particular form, way or manner in which an idea or
information is expressed. Examples literary & artistic work, music, films,
paintings, sculptures, computer programs and database etc, Copyright is Moral
and economic rights of authors/ writers, publishers, performers and producers of
sound recordings (phonograms). Duration of Copyright protection is life time of
the author plus 50 years thereafter
Copyright work/Copyright registration can categorized by following Parts
- Part-I: Literary works (Books, Magazines, Journals, Lectures,
Sermons, Dramas, Novels, and also including Computer Programs and
Compilation of Data)
- Part-II: Artistic works (Paintings, Photographs, Maps,
Charts, Calligraphies, Sculptures, Architectural Works, Drawings, Label Designs,
Logos, Monograms etc).
- Part-III: Cinematographic works (Motion Pictures, Video Cassettes,
VCD’s, DVD’s etc.).
- Part-IV: Records Works (Audio Cassettes and
Copyright Office Karachi
The Copyright Office was established at Karachi in 1963 under the Provision of
Copyright Ordinance, 1962, as subordinate office and then upgraded as attached
department of Ministry of Education Islamabad. The branch office was established
at Lahore in 1984. The Copyright office has become a part of IPO-Pakistan under
the administrative control of Cabinet Division, since April 2005. The Copyright
Office is headed by the Registrar of Copyrights (BPS-19). The Office provides
support services to a variety of creative industries, such as literary work
including computer program/software/databases, publishing industry, artistic
work, cinematographic work and Record Work.
Copyright office provides
Copyright Office and Governing Legislation
Since Independence, British Copyright Act, 1911
- A system of voluntary registration.
To grant registration of various copyrighted works.
Facilitate any interested person who makes an application to the Registrar.
To provide prima-facie evidence to prove the ownership of copyright before the court of law or any authority.
International Treaties/Conventions on Copyright
- Replaced by the Copyright Ordinance, 1962.
The Copyright Office, at Karachi in 1963.
- The Copyright Office, at Karachi in 1963.
The Copyright Rules of, 1967 as amended in 2002.
- Registration started in 1967.
The International Copyright Order, 1968.
- The International Copyright Order, 1968.
- The Copyright Board (Procedure) Regulations 1981.
- Branch office in 1986 at Lahore
- Part of IPO-Pakistan since 2005.
- Berne Convention , 1886 for The Protection of Library and Artistic
- Universal Copyright Convention, 1952
WTO , 1995
WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT),1996
WIPO Performances and Phonograms
Steps of Registration of Copyright
- Filing of application
- Publication in newspaper (Artistic Work only)
- Opposition, if any
- Issuance of Certificate by Registrar (Registration)
Achievements of Copyright office after the establishment of IPO-Pakistan
- Curtail the examination period of Artistic Works from 4-5 years to 2-1.5 years
- Curtail the examination period of Non-Artistic Works from 4-5 years to 1 year
- Establishment of new IT-Section and server room with improved IT-infrastructure during 2009
- Installation of improved , central and controlled Local Area Network during 2009
- Availability of Copyright data/application forms on IPO website.
- Availability of updated Copyright Publication of Artistic Work on IPO Website, since 2006
- Issuing Computerized acknowledgment receipt for Copyright Application and issuing File No. to the Applicant at reception
- 96% of Copyright Data since its establishment in 1967 has been captured/Digitized and completed.
- Since March, 2008 till onward the Copyright Office is digitizing and scanning the data, on regular basis.
- Copyright Administration system (CAS) software has been deployed and working efficiently and effectively.
- Interconnection of Copyright branch office IPO-Pakistan Regional Office, Lahore and Receiving Desk at IPO-HQ with Copyright Office Karachi by VPN technology to access Copyright Administration System (CAS) for data entry
- Copyright office is also performing data verification on regular basis.